Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) is more than 10,000 profile pictures, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) that are digital collectibles unique on the Ethereum blockchain delegated to ape purchasers. Crypto Punks were the first ETH that gained a lot of attention, but Bored Ape Yacht Club is quickly becoming the number one NFT. Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs are in popular demand, as are their Mutant Apes.
OpenSea makes it very easy to buy one of these. That being said, if you’re looking for a general guide on getting into NFTs, check out our guide on how to buy an NFT.
How to Buy Bored Ape Yacht Club
To buy an ape, go to Bored Ape Yacht Club and click “Buy an Ape on OpenSea,” which will take you to the OpenSea NFT collection, where you will find many apes for sale at a wide range of pricing.
When choosing which one to buy, you can take into account the rarity of the Bored Ape and that you can expect to pay a minimum of $120,000. Each design is unique and some have rare features such as bunny ears, a cowboy hat, hip-hop style, or a beanie.
When dealing with cryptocurrencies like ETH and bitcoin, there are several platforms that you can choose from, including:
Below is how you will go about buying ETH once you have identified the cryptocurrency platform you will choose:
Create Your Account
To open an account, you will need to enter your name, address, identification forms, social insurance number, and other personal information.
Once you have entered your information, you need to verify the account. To confirm that the account will pass regulations, you need to upload identification that will confirm your identity. You can be verified in a timeframe of anywhere from 1–24 hours.
To add the currency, you need a debit card or bank account linked to your file. The amount you will deposit counts on the purchases you wish to make. ETH is similar to bitcoin and is a popular currency when purchasing and selling, so it is good to have plenty on hand.
Create a web3 wallet using MetaMask
MetaMask is a wallet for cryptocurrency and allows you to safely secure blockchain-based applications. This web3 wallet can be used via an app or easily and securely with a browser extension.
Setting up your MetaMask wallet is simple by visiting the link we provided and following the simple instructions.
- First, you need to download MetaMask browser extension by visiting the website
- Choose to Create a Wallet
- Choose a username and a password
- You will have a ‘Secret Recovery Phrase’ that you need to keep safe in case you forget your password because you will lose access to your wallet without it
- You need to confirm the recovery phrase by putting the words in the correct order
- You have successfully downloaded your MetaMask Wallet
Transfer ETH to your MetaMask
Once you have purchased your ETH, it may take 2-15 days to be able to transfer it to your wallet, depending on whether you bought it through your bank card or a bank transfer. When purchasing ETH with a debit card, it should allow you access within two days. If you buy an ETH via bank transfer, it can take 15 days.
- When Coinbase notifies you that your ETH is ready to transfer, open MetaMask and click on “Account’ and copy the Ethereum address. The Ethereum wallet address will make it possible for anyone to send you crypto or for you to send it to anyone across the world.
- Select Portfolio on the Coinbase website and choose Ethereum, and hit Send. You will need to paste the Ethereum wallet address from MetaMask in the field that says To. The wallet address is 42 characters – so ensure you have entered all of them correctly so that the crypto does not go to the wrong person through the wrong address.
- To send the ETH, you will need to hit Continue and then Confirm to send the ETH, which will take mere minutes to transfer to your selected account.
- Go to the Coinbase app and click Portfolio, then look for Ethereum and choose ETH Wallet to see the balance of your ETH. You can transfer ETH to your MetaMask wallet by hitting the send icon located at the top right of the screen.
- Enter how much ETH you are sending and choose Continue. You will then paste your Ethereum wallet address in the To field and click Preview to ensure you are sending the correct amount. Once you have confirmed the amount you wish to transfer, click Send Now, and the ETH will arrive within minutes to your wallet.
Connect Your MetaMask to OpenSea
To connect your MetaMask account to OpenSea, you will need to complete the following steps:
- When you get to OpenSea, select My Profile from the icon at the top right.
- There will be a prompt for you to connect your wallet and additional prompts to connect the screen. The prompt will read Connecting when you are finished.
- To update your profile and make it personalized, you will see Unnamed and the wallet address beneath. Once you see the Sign-in prompt, you may start to personalize your profile. You will add a username, email, and bio, as well as a photo.
- Once these above steps are complete, you can see OpenSea in your wallet address. OpenSea will appear as a window and begin to sell, buy, trade, and create non-fungible tokens.
It is important to note that Open Sea does not keep your digital assets.
Find the collection on OpenSea
There are several ways to search for NFTs, including Bored Ape Yacht Club, on OpenSea.
- From the landing page, you want to go to Explore and then you can enter Bored Ape Yacht Club
- You may choose to buy through either “Buy Now” or “On Auction” to the left of the page
- The options may be overwhelming, so you can narrow the choices by searching the time, price, view, or more. “Rankings” will allow you to get an idea of the NFTs that are popular
For sellers on OpenSea, there are two ways they can list the NFTs – through a fixed price, or they can set up an auction whereby the highest bid is the winner and gets to purchase the NFT.
Buying with a Fixed Price
- Search until you discover an NFT that you wish to buy
- There will be information about the rarity, properties, and other aspects that will make the particular NFT valuable
- When you have found the NFL that you want to buy, click Buy Now
- For your benefits and review, OpenSea will ask you to go over the specifics of your purchase and to make sure it is not the product of someone trying to scam you and sell a knock-off version of more sought after NFTs
- After you have read over all the details, you will review the cost of the purchase and agree to the terms of service given by OpenSea before you hit Checkout
- Once you are satisfied with the total cost, “Confirm” the purchase and the NFT is yours
- If you go to your profile in your wallet, you will see the NFT on the left side
Bidding on an NFT
When you are bidding on an NFT at an auction house, it will work a bit differently:
- Choose an NFT that you wish to bid on
- Once you are sure you can bid on the NFT, you will need to place an offer that is 5% higher than the previous person bid
- Hit Make Offer
- Review the details to ensure it is a legitimate NFT
- Choose the currency you are going to make the bid in
- Give your offer amount and date that the offer will expire so you can retract your offer if you choose
- On the left side of your profile, you will be able to go over any offers you have made
- Check back on the bid to see if you need to increase your bid and wait until the auction ends.
Approve on MetaTask
There may be a task that you need to approve or reject on MetaTask, and you need to offer approval or reject the task.
- Approving the task will work as a usual action
- Rejecting will stop the process entirely, all tasks will cease, and you will need to offer a reason for rejecting it so that participants can see the reason
There is a way to reopen the approval task if you made an approval or rejection accidentally. To update your decision, edit the choice on MetaTask.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who owns the most Bored Apes?
Including the most enthusiastic collectors of BAYC NFTs is Stephen Curry, an NBA player. Another big fan of the Bored Ape collection is Jermain Dupri.
Why are Bored Apes so expensive?
Bored Ape avatars have been sold for well over $100,000 with an auction in New York fetching some avatars for over $24 million. These avatars from the Bored Ape Kennel Club have been made popular by celebrities such as Jay-Z, who uses them on social media platforms such as Twitter.
How many Bored Apes are there?
There are about 10,000 Bored Ape digital avatars on the market with more on the horizon.